Culture Cues for Gift Giving in Singapore
- Color is important regarding gifts. For Indians, red,
yellow, green are considered colors of happiness. Black and white should be
- If you give money - odd numbers of currency are preferred.
This is considered to bring good luck.
- Don't give frangipanni flowers which may fool you. They
look like bridal bouquets and in Hawaii are often made to make leis.
In Singapore they are used for funerals.
- When giving a gift use your right hand.
- Centrepoint -
A very popular shopping mall on Orchard Road.
- Singaporeans will not open a gift in front of the giver. If
you give a gift to someone at their home - they will often set it aside
until you have departed. If you are provided a gift don't open it in front
of your host or friend. This may have the appearance of greed.
Return to International Travel